Practice, promote and perpetuate the teachings of Jodo Shin Buddhism in the most positive light.
The Sagari Fuji
The "Sagari Fuji" is called the "Hanging Wisteria" in English.
St. Shinran, the founder of the Jodo Shin Sect was born in the Fujiwara clan. This is the reason why the Hongwanji uses the crest or "mon" of the "fuji" flower.
Most of the robes and "kesa" of the Hongwanji priests, books, "uchishiki," incense burners and many other things used in connection with the Hongwanji have designs or symbols of the "Sagari Fuji."
Kona Hongwanji Buddhist temple aspires to be the leading Buddhist Center for West Hawaii by providing:
Spiritual guidance and support for living in the 21st century;
Propagation programs and activities that appeal to people of all ages and ethnicities;
A resource center for Pure Land/Jodo Shin Buddhism.
Brief History of Kona Hongwanji
The first Hongwanji Temple in Kona was established in 1897. Reverend Gyoshin Sato later moved to Hawaii in September to begin servicing the congregation.
In 1900, the first Fujinkai group in Kona was established. In 1901, 3 acres of land was purchased in Kealakekua to build a new temple. It was completed and dedicated in 1907.
The social hall, preschool and kitchen facilities were built in 1967.
The Judo hall, storage shed and tennis court were completed in 1975.